Sunday, May 18, 2008

Prince Caspian

My mom has been visiting me this past week, to celebrate Mother's Day and then her birthday, which is today. We did lots of celebratory things throughout the week, but needed to specifically celbrate my mom entering her 59th year of life (sorry Mom, had to say it on the blog! One more year until the fun begins...) Because I had a funeral this afternoon, we decided to celebrate Mom's birth last night. We went to dinner, a funeral home visitation, then a movie (what can I say? I really know how to party!). Incidentally, I think this is one of the reasons that dating is difficult for a single pastor. If someone asks you out on a date, you have to say things like, "That sounds great, but would you mind stopping by the funeral home with me after dinner?" Doesn't work so well...but with moms, it's no problem.

Anyway, my self-sacrificing mother not only went to the funeral home with me, she pretended to want to see a movie that I really wanted to see. She would not admit it, but I know she was not thrilled about the idea of "Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian", which came out this weekend. I also forced her to watch "Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, Witch, and the Wardrobe" on DVD this week, in preparation. She pretended to like it well enough, because she is good that way. She knows that I am obsessed with all things C.S. Lewis and, generally, supports me in my many obsessions.

Surprise surprise, "Prince Caspian" was amazing...my mom even cried...a lot. It was a truly beautiful movie. Being a person who loves (let me say that again: LOVES) "The Chronicles of Narnia", I was hesitant about these books being made into movies. Books are always better than movies (it is a universal truth). When "The Lion, Witch and the Wardrobe" came out in the theater, I was there opening night. There were certainly things I liked about that movie--and I own the DVD--but it didn't measure up to the book. Truly, it fell far short of the glory of the book. The worst part, to me, was the depiction of Aslan (who is a lion, meant to be a Christ-figure). In my mind, Aslan is larger than life. To this day, my mental image of Aslan can bring me to tears. In the movie he just looked like, well, a lion...an ordinary lion (except for the fact that he talked and stuff). I guess when you are trying to represent Divinity, there is no earthly picture worthy of that fullness...but my imagination got a lot closer than the computer graphics did.

Being that I would have given the first "Chronicles of Narnia" movie a B- on the grading scale, I did not have the highest hopes for "Prince Caspian". Usually, sequels get worse, so I was expecting something in the C range...not an A (or even an A+, because I really loved this movie). I had read reviews giving it 3 out of 4 starts, saying it was good but too long, with too many protracted war scenes. I disagree. I was mesmerized the whole time. I even drank a huge bottle of water during the movie and absolutely refused to leave the theater to go to the bathroom (no matter how much my body demanded otherwise).

"Prince Caspian" was never my favorite book in the series (also not my least favorite...that distinction would go to "The Horse and His Boy", which is still a good book, but not as good as the others). However, I am now in love with this movie. It has beautiful themes of trusting in God, waiting on His timing, bravery/courage, loyalty, mercy, etc. Visually, it was captivating. And, Prince Caspian himself, is too pretty for words.

I highly recommend this movie to all. It is worth the $8 or $9 ticket price (but don't be like me and buy a $4.25 bottle of water, because you left your water bottle at home. I would complain about the ridiculous prices, but I am the ridiculous one who paid it!).

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tina, I actually just got to go and see Prince Caspian. I have always enjoyed the books, and I think my one issue with the movie is that I sure thought Prince Caspian was supposed to be ALOT younger. Wasn't he like 10 or 12 in the books? I love the Chronicles of Narnia books, and I hope they take them to the end of the series, because my favorite book is the Last Battle. They could have so much fun with the CGI stuff! I did get a break on the movie though, I saw it in Bluffton, where tickets are only $3...but I'll definitely see it again!

Tina Dietsch Fox said...

Hey Ellen! So good to hear from you! I think you are right about Prince Caspian being younger, but I can't say I minded him being older, because he sure was pretty to look at ;-)

My favorite is "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" (I even think the title is beautiful!). I agree, it would be great if they make them all into movies!

$3 for a brand new movie. That ROCKS!!! Too bad C-bus is so far from Bluffton!

Ashlee said...

Tina--I, too, love the Chronicles of Narnia but sadly have not gotten to see "Prince Caspian" yet. I'm glad to read your review! :) And my favorite is "The Voyage of the Dawn Treader," too! Hopefully I'll get to go see Prince Caspian SOON!