Friday, May 23, 2008

Being an Extrovert

I'm back from mini-vacation. I had an action-packed couple of days, with clergy session (insert yawn) and then a whirlwind trip to Lima. I ended up seeing more people than I even anticipated, which was wonderful. This trip reminded me, once again, that I am an extrovert. I mean that in the truest sense of the word. People think of "extrovert" as "outgoing" and "introvert" as "shy"...at least, that is my take on the common perception.

The best definition I've heard of extroversion/introversion is that extroverts feel energized by interactions with others and introverts feel energized by alone time. Ideally, a truly balanced person would find refreshment in both activities, but all people are going to tend toward one end of the spectrum or the other.

After seeing so many people that I loved and have missed--and after having good, reconnecting kinds of conversation with many--I feel renewed and re-energized. I don't often get to spend a couple days at a time with lots and lots of people. Being at a small church, in the middle of the country, I see a few people each day (and a lot of people on Sundays), but generally spend a lot more time alone, in reflection, than I do with large amounts of people. I was beginning to think I'd become an introvert. Really, I think I had just adjusted to my situation. Necessity is the mother of introversion, at least in my case.

I have always felt guilty about being an extrovert, thinking it not as intellectual or deep as being an introvert. Most introverts I know spend their lives wishing they were extroverts. Why is it that, no matter what the trait, as humans, we are never content with who we are? We always want to be what we are not.

I am grateful for growing older. Side note: I realize I am not "old" yet, at least not from the perspective of those of you older than I am. However, I am older than I have ever been in my life. What I like about each passing year is the perspective that it brings about what is important, about what really matters. (I dislike the gray hairs that appear on my head with continuing frequency). I guess I had to get into my thirties to start accepting myself as I am. For the first time in my life, I am happy that I am an extrovert. I see positives in the fact that I enjoy spending time with people, even just chatting at a superficial level (though, I'd prefer deeper conversation). I just like people and feel better about life and about myself after spending time with others. Granted, too much time with junior high students makes me want to become an introvert, but I guess there are exceptions to every rule!

So, if I were to sum this all up in a couple sentences as a thought for the day: God made us each unique and special, created the way we are for a reason and purpose. Maybe it is time we all started to embrace ourselves for who we are and celebrate the amazing gifts we have been given, instead of wishing we were different or more like someone else. (Or maybe I am the only one who struggles with this???)

No comments: