Monday, May 5, 2008

Cyclone in Myanmar

I just read the following news brief on facebook.com:

"Nearly 4,000 people were killed Saturday by a devastating cyclone that smashed into Myanmar and officials fear its toll could go as high as 10,000. The death toll is likely to climb sharply because government officials say the storm hit with such force that 3,000 people from a single town cannot be found. Foreign Minister Nyan Win told foreign diplomats during a briefing that the death toll could reach 10,000, according to diplomats who spoke on condition of anonymity because the meeting was held behind closed doors. It was already a dramatic increase in the toll, which had been set at 351. 'The confirmed number is 3,934 dead, 41 injured and 2,879 missing within the Yangon and Irrawaddy divisions,' MRTV reported as aid agencies said hundreds of thousands of people were without shelter and drinking water."

Having actually been to Myanmar (ok, really, I just stood on the border and looked in because I didn't have a visa...but I kinda stuck my toe over the line, so I count that as a visit!), my heart breaks for the people there. They certainly need our prayers.

I find it interesting that, even though I have watched several news programs in the past two days, I've heard nothing about this before tonight. It seems significant enough for at least a little news coverage, or so you'd think. This reminds me of when I went to Venezuela in 2000, just after a huge flood. It was estimated that over 100,000 people were killed in that flood, yet it was barely a blip on the radar screen of our newscasts. I love the United States and all, but it would really be nice to if our media could take more notice of the rest of the world.
And that is my soapbox for tonight...

No comments: