Saturday, May 10, 2008

Be careful what you say...

I met another United Methodist pastor the other day, while attending the senior project of a friend of mine who attends Ohio Northern University. The unique thing about him was that he is actually younger than me. Young United Methodist clergy are a rarity, and I am generally the youngest pastor in the room by at least 20 years. It was kind of nice not the be the baby pastor!

He and I talked about ministry and issues relating to being a pastor. Then he said something to me about "those fundies down at Asbury" (fundies=fundamentalists). Fundamentalist is never a word used in a positive way, at least not in my experience. I kind of took offence to the idea that everyone who went to my seminary (Asbury) is a "fundie". So, I said, "Oh, you mean my Alma Mater", to which he got tongue-tied and started back-peddling a bit.

I don't blame him. I, myself, have been guilty of gross generalizations, prejudices, stereotypes. For instance, a couple years ago, while having lunch with a clergy woman that I really like and admire, I made a pretty awful comment about METHESCO (The Methodist Theological School of Ohio). METHESCO has a reputation for being a very liberal seminary, which my more conservative friends and I tend to make jokes about (not a great thing to admit, but it's true). Anyway, after I made some obnoxious METHESCO comment, my gracious friend informed me that she had graduated from METHESCO. I literally choked on the water that I had just tried to swallow. I felt about 2 inches tall. It made me think that I should be careful what I say...and careful when and how I say things.

Now that I have been on the receiving end of a stupid comment about my seminary (a place I happened to love, which irrevocably shaped the person and pastor that I am, for the better), it reminds me again to be careful what I say. It also behooves me to not make sweeping generalizations about any person or place. We should know better than that, as pastors. Yet, I know there are stereotypes about seminaries or groups that people choose to align themselves with...as pastors (and as people), we can be very divided in purpose because we are too busy putting others into tight-fitting little boxes (which we are most likely judging incorrectly).

John Wesley, founder of Methodism, speaks to this: "'If thine heart is as my heart," if thou lovest God and all mankind, I ask no more: "give me thine hand."'

2 Kings 10:15 "And when he was departed thence, he lighted on Jehonadab the son of Rechab coming to meet him, and he saluted him, and said to him, Is thine heart right, as my heart is with thy heart? And Jehonadab answered: It is. If it be, give me thine hand."

"If it be, give me thy hand." I do not mean, "Be of my opinion." You need not: I do not expect or desire it. Neither do I mean, "I will be of your opinion." I cannot, it does not depend on my choice: I can no more think, than I can see or hear, as I will. Keep you your opinion; I mine; and that as steadily as ever. You need not even endeavour to come over to me, or bring me over to you. I do not desire you to dispute those points, or to hear or speak one word concerning them. Let all opinions alone on one side and the other: only "give me thine hand." (from John Wesley's "Catholic Spirit")

No comments: