Sunday, May 4, 2008

Confirmation Interviews

I interviewed a bunch of teenagers today, asking them questions about their faith...17 teenagers, to be exact. It was a long day!

Confirmation is the chance for teens to stand up and proclaim, in front of their church family, that they want to follow Jesus and serve Him with their lives. We have had confirmation classes all school year long on Sunday afternoons. I love those kids, but have to admit I am glad it is coming to an end. With 11 junior high boys and 6 junior high girls, it was more than a little crazy most days.

Knowing they had interviews today (to see if they really understand what confirmation is and discuss if they are ready to make that kind of committment), the kids were in rare form. My "class clown" came up to me before church this morning and said, "Pastor Tina, you look very pretty today". I said, "Are you trying to kiss up to me so you pass your confirmation interview?" He hung his head, mumbled "yes" under his breath, and walked away. They underestimate how smart I really am! ha ha ha!

The funniest thing about today was how nervous most of the kids were. They talked really fast, had trouble making eye contact, and answered with shaky voices. I struggled not to giggle. It isn't that I like to torture teens, it's just that I'm the least intimidating person alive. The kids know that. I taught their class for a year and they walked all over me (I have many gifts, but I am not the world's greatest disciplinarian, admittedly). The problem: They know I am funny--never let them see your sense of humor. I heard Joy Behar, from THE VIEW, talk about being a teacher in the public school system. Even though she is a comedian, she said she was never funny in the classroom because "the minute they know you are funny, you've lost control". I am living proof of that theory!

I wanted to meet with the kids individually and talk through the questions they are going to answer during the confirmation service, so they know what they are vowing to God. I'm a big proponent of only making vows to God that you: a) understand and b) actually plan to keep. Most of the kids are taking this really seriously, which makes me happy. That could be because I have talked about how serious this step is, over and over again, all year. Poor kids! No wonder they were scared.

I am not sure who came up with the baptismal questions in the United Methodist Hymnal, but I am thinking it is some old man that has never spoken with a teenager (or, for that matter, any normal person on the face of the earth). Let me give an example from the very first question they will be asked next Sunday, during the confirmation service: "Do you renounce the spiritual forces of wickedness, reject the evil powers of this world, and repent of your sin?" I went to seminary for four years and I have no idea what that means!!! I jest. I do know what it means, but wonder how any 8th grader is ever going to understand that? I now know all the questions by heart after discussing them one by one, 17 different times today. Of course, all the kids looked at me like I was on drugs when I asked them what the questions meant. I want to re-write all our liturgies in words and phrases that normal people can understand. You should not have to be in Mensa in order to join the church...call me crazy, but that's how I feel about it.

The best part of these interviews was getting to hear how excited these kids really are about their faith. They all want to get closer to God. When I asked why they wanted to be confirmed, most of them said: "To get closer to God". So, I followed with the question, "How will being confirmed help you be closer to God?" The answers were a little sketchy on that one, but they were trying...and they really do seem to want to know God better, which I think pleases God. God is always pleased when we desire more of Him.

The highlight of today was praying with two of my kids as they accepted Christ as their Savior for the first time. Days like today make up for all the stinky days...like when I have to plunge the toilet at church or photocopy newsletters or attend endless committee meetings. Some days, it's kind of a nice thing to be a pastor...even when you scare teenagers!

No comments: