Sunday, June 1, 2008

What's next, Papa?

Being that this is the season of graduations, we had "Graduation Sunday" at church today. We also recognized our scholarship recipients (since the church has this amazing scholarship fund and gives a sizable amount of money to the students each year, for their college or technical education). The graduates and scholarship recipients took part in the service this morning, leading the different parts. This was a good thing for me, since I had a crazy-busy weekend. Not having to prepare a sermon was a blessing. However, today made me realize that I have some control issues (i.e. obsessing about people moving to the microphone at the right time during the service, cutting down transition times, making things move smoothly, etc). We focused so much on timing and transitions in worship at my last church. I sometimes forget that I am now at a smaller church and they don't mind being a little more laid back. It is rather refreshing, actually.

It is a rarity to sit back during the sermon time and just listen (instead of my usual pontificating). One of the high school graduates gave the message today (probably more accurately described as a "testimony"). She is a remarkable young woman and I think everyone was inspired by her thoughts on faith and life--and even more profoundly, inspired by how she lives those things out in her every day existence. Something she said stuck out to me. She talked about her future plans, and is not really sure what her major in college will be. I think that is common situation at 18 years old, but I know it is frustrating when you are going through it (I had a "major" crisis at the end of my freshman year in college, too). She talked about the need to trust God with her future and how, she was sure, if she worried less and trusted God more, it would all work out...but the worry continues, she confessed.

Sitting back, listening, as an adult who has already passed through the landmark events that she is still going to experience, I wanted to tell her: "You have nothing to worry about. Just enjoy the ride!" I know that exciting adventures await her, things she could not even get her mind around right now if God did try to tell her. It is easier, I realized, to tell other people to trust God...and a lot harder to do it yourself. God has always been faithful to me. I have no reason to doubt that will continue. Still, I worry about the unknowns in my future, as well. I am sure that older, wiser people who have already walked the paths I've yet to walk would tell me not to worry, to sit back and enjoy the ride...but I would probably still worry. Maybe that is just a natural response to the unknown. We are human and we like to know what is coming 'round the bend.

Today, I was reminded to wait for the future in an expectant way. Instead of worrying, I need to trust that God knows what He is doing and already has a plan in progress (well before we even catch a glimpse of that plan).

My dogs always teach me something about God and His interaction with creation. Tonight, I was getting their food ready. The dogs were watching me, almost drooling (as if they hadn't eaten in days). My one little dog, Ariel, was so excited that she started spinning around. She would sit for a few seconds, then she would spin around, expectantly (almost like she was chasing her tail, except she was just overwhelmed by the excitement of the moment). It made me laugh. Here is this little animal who loves and trusts me so completely. For all she knew, I could have been giving her spoiled food, or cheap, nasty tasting dog food...but that thought never crossed her canine mind. Ariel knows that I only give her good things, and she expects nothing less than the best from my hand. Quite a lesson in good theology, I think.

This all reminds me of one of my favorite passages of Scripture. I may have even shared this on the blog before. It comes from The Message paraphrase.

Romans 8: 15-16
"This resurrection life you received from God is not a timid, grave-tending life. It's adventurously expectant, greeting God with a childlike "What's next, Papa?" God's Spirit touches our spirits and confirms who we really are. We know who he is, and we know who we are: Father and children. And we know we are going to get what's coming to us—an unbelievable inheritance!"

I love the phrase "adventurously expectant", and especially love the idea of greeting God with a childlike "What's next, Papa?"

I pray that, for every unknown in your life and future, your response to God will always be: "What's next, Papa?"

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is especially reassuring to me on a day like today. As the past month has gone by, I've become more anxious about the road ahead. I've graduated college and am heading off to my first job. These words give me comfort and I feel as if they may cause my anticipation to be on the wane , if ever so slightly. I know I'll have many more days when I ask myself, WHAT AM I DOING???, but I know I can rely on these words to know that there are plans already made for me (oh, it feels like my high school graduation was just yesterday). I feel like you wrote this blog especially for me. Thanks Tina.
I will also pass this forward to best friend, Danny. He is starting a two year stint in Teach for America and needs a thesaurus to describe the many emotions of instability that he feels right now. I feel like if he can keep the "What next Papa?" idea fresh in his mind, he may be able to cope with his anxiousness better.

paul said...

I bet even small churches don't mind a bit of control freak coming out for timing and transition. :)

Tina Dietsch Fox said...

Hi BB! I am glad the post was encouraging to you. I am asolutely positive that God has great and wonderful things in store for you! p.s. I will call you tomorrow about getting together while you are in town.

Paul: Yeah, timing and a little control freakish-ness aren't such bad things...but when my palms started to get all sweaty because someone wasn't moving to the microphone during the last verse of a hymn (ensuring they would be in place to begin speaking, just as the hymn ended), I realized I was worrying too much about something that was not going to stop the world from turning. My new motto is: Strive for excellence, while extending constant grace.