Thursday, June 5, 2008

Pampered Dogs

I went back to the dentist today, to get one crown and 2 filling replacements. I did one side of my mouth today, and the other side will be in November. Maybe by November I will have forgotten how sore your mouth gets from holding it open for almost 2 1/2 hours. The great part about today is that they have little TVs attached to the dentist chair. They moved the TV above my head, so I could watch it during all the drilling and such. So, I watched HGTV the whole time. If it weren't for the awful sounds coming from my mouth, it would have been quite relaxing. Sometimes I don't mind being a pampered American.

An odd thing about today is that my dogs also had a dental procedure, which was scheduled before I knew I needed dental work. The dogs had to be put out with anethesia (guess no veterinarians want to mess around with the teeth of an awake dog). Then their teeth were cleaned; it's supposed to happen once a year; I wonder what dogs did in the wild without dental appointments?! Little Ariel even has a bandage on her arm where the IV went, and she is milking it for all it's worth, walking around like she had major surgery or something.

I share all this fascinating info. about my dogs because it has made me think about the inequality that America has with the rest of the world. I mean, seriously, we take our dogs to the dentist. In some countries, they eat dogs...or at least keep them outside. Now, I adore my dogs...and they know it...but my dogs are treated better than millions of children who cannot afford food, who don't have access to clean water, who live in danger of malaria and AIDS at every turn. Children in the United States suffer, too...but still, the majority of people in the rest of the world have it a lot rougher than we do. I once read that a person living at the poverty level in America is still among the top 5 percent wealthiest people in the world. A sobering fact. Of whom much is given, much is required.

The lay leader from my church went to the Dominican Republic on a mission trip and was surprised by the children, how they went crazy for balloons and little plastic toys...probably because they had no toys. She made the comment that dogs in the US have more toys than these kids. I think that is sad.

I am not sure what to do with that inequity or the guilt it produces in me. I think it is good to feel guilty every once in a while. It makes you examine yourself and your life more fully. Too often though, I feel a little tinge of guilt, and then resume my normal, pampered, overindulged American lifestyle.

I think God's heart breaks at the suffering of the people He created. I am sure the inequity of our life situations is not lost on Him. Does that mean I stop taking my dogs to get their teeth cleaned or never buy them a toy? I'm not sure that is the answer, because they need care and love, too. But, I feel convicted that I need to be much more proactive about ending injustice in the world...giving some of my physical, spiritual, and emotional resources to help those who suffer. If anyone has some good ideas on how to do that in simple, concrete ways, let me know.

On an unrelated note (or perhaps not so unrelated), because today is the 40th anniversary of Robert F. Kennedy's assassination, here is a quote:

Moral courage is a rarer commodity than bravery in battle or great intelligence. Yet it is the one essential, vital quality of those who seek to change a world which yields most painfully to change.
~Robert F. Kennedy, in a speech in Capetown, South Africa, June 6, 1966.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know what you mean about doing something to end the injustice in the world. God has placed a big life-changing passion in my heart in the last 6-8 months for ending injustice and I am shocked to say I have found it is a passion most people do not share.

Random but slightly related story:

I recently met with my college advisor a couple weeks ago so that she could check in with me on my process in school and approve of the classes I was planning to take for next fall. Because I had met with her multiple times before and she know about my struggle in deciding if my major is really what I wanted to do for the rest of my life as a career the first question she asked me was "what do you want to do with your life." I replied, "end injustice and defeat evil" after I said it I instantly felt very stupid and embarassed because I knew that was not exactly what she was asking for and what I was not planning to answer (I had planned on spening 15 minutes discussing the pros and cons of econ 101). She stared blankly at me for what seemed like a few hours (really maybe about 10-15 seconds) then handed me my DARS (this sheet of paper that lets me sign up for classes)and said "I think you will be just fine and I will see you later." I grabed my DARS and headed for the door as fast as I could polietly go without making a scence. As I was exciting her office I could hear her laughing. I walked out of the building thinking that if nothing else I gave her a good story to tell.

The suffering, injustice, and equality in our world is a huge issue and I do not have any kind of answers (just more questions) but one place that people can begin to take that first step is www.Kiva.org. I'm not going to take up your time be typing a 20 page comment so just go to this site and check it out.

I will say a little about it though:

Kiva is an organization that involves miroloans. It allows any individual to give loans to people who would not otherwise be able to secure money for a loan. A person can give as much or as little money as they want( usually between $5-$50) to help towards the other persons desired goal. It is a loan which the person will pay back (they just don't have a time limit...i think something like 95% of people get paid back).

Kiva is not a charity (and I'm defining charity as giving free stuff to people). Charities are not bad and are good and neccessary as short-term help but not a long-term solution. If I donate a pair of old shoes to a needy child that is a good and helpful thing but it means that the poor shoe store owner gets no money (or other forms of payment) so then he needs charity to get his family some food. But, if that poor child's dad rasies cattle and he has five cattle but needs eight to really begin turning enough profit to live off of and the bank/government won't give him money then he can get microloans to raise the money he needs to buy the cattle. With the eight cattle the father can afford to buy his child shoes which gives money to the shoe shop owner who can use it to buy food which allows the fruit seller to buy milk from the cattle man, etc. This "charity" begins to improve other countries economy which is the only way to lower the poverty rate.

I think this is a much better long term solution and a small place to start but it is in no way an answer let alone an only answer. Also I want to add that I am not against charities.

Tina Dietsch Fox said...

Amy!

Great comment! (Is this Amy Wright, because if so, I am so proud of who you have become and are becoming...if it is another amy, you seem great, as well).

I think, Amy, that people become jaded. The problems seem so big that people give up. I would think your advisor would be excited by your passion and would have engaged you in a discussion about that. But, I too had an advisor in college, so I should know better than to expect actual, well, advising!

I remember being at Disneyland with some adults when I was in high school. At Epcot Center, each night, they have this huge fireworks/laser light display. I remember watching that and saying, "It seems like such a waste of money, to do this every night, along with all the money we spend at this park, while people go hungry." I was told I was being "naive". It felt like a slap in the face to me. I wasn't saying that we needed to take all the money from the fireworks and send it to Africa. I was merely remarking on the disparity between how much we, as Americans, spend on entertainment while the majority of the world goes without basic necessities. Now that I am older, I realize I was not the one who was naive.

The microloan concept is a great thing. There are several organizations out there doing that and it really seems to be making a difference. On the injustice front, have you ever heard about international justice mission. Google them and check out their website (I think it's www.ijm.org, but am not totally sure). I think you'd be really impressed.