Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Swimming in Prayer

Recently, I have started swimming laps for exercise. I enjoy the way the water feels--love being totally surrounded and supported by it. I have found, with swimming (and with other aerobic exercise), that I absolutely hate the first 10-15 minutes. I feel sluggish and it is difficult to get into the routine of it all. At a certain point, though, something changes...everything comes together. There is a transition (with swimming, cycling, running) where you fall into the rhythm of it. Everything starts to work together, perfectly in harmony: body, mind and soul. To me, it is one of the best experiences in life, feeling completely focused on one thing, experiencing a kind of whole person synergy. Because of that experience of intense focus, exercise feels like a spiritual activity. I feel more connected to myself, and somehow, more connected to the One who made me.

I am especially aware of this connection with God (and with myself) in the water. As I pass through the water, a particular passage of Scripture comes back to me time and again, from Isaiah: "When you pass thought the water, I will be with you...and they waves, they will not overcome you. Do not fear, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name. You are Mine." It is almost automatic; as I pass through the water, that passage passes through my soul...and becomes more true to me with each lap I swim.

I have found that I can pray more clearly and effectively as I am swimming...maybe because every part of me that is normally distracted during prayer is focused on keeping me moving through the water, so other parts of my mind are freed up to focus on more important, more eternal things. I picture God's love like water the supports and overflows us and, as a prayer, see the people I love, the people I pray for, surrounded and upheld by that Love--that sustaining, Life-giving, uncontainable Love. Who would have guessed that swimming could be a spiritual experience?

I have also recently discovered Wasabi-coated peas. I cannot say they are a spiritual experience...but they are certainly an experience worth having. If you need some excitement in your life, give them a try.

No comments: