Saturday, June 21, 2008

Being a Rule Breaker

A few years ago, I went to a Small Groups Conference with two colleagues (more accurately described as good friends). The speaker had us do an "ice breaker". We were supposed to turn to our neighbor and tell them if you are a "rule breaker" or "rule follower". Both of my friends turned, instantly, pointed at me and said in unison: "rule breaker". Then we all laughed.

It is true, I would accurately be called a "rule breaker". I like to think my own thoughts, do my own thing. Perhaps I have some authority issues (though God is, as always, working with me and refining this stubborn streak that often surfaces in me). The truth is, when someone tells me to do something, my first response is usually: Why? If I love someone, I would go to the moon and back for them, without asking questions--that's probably a lie; I'd ask questions but then follow the path of love and service. For some reason, I am just hesitant to follow orders.

The reason I bring this up today is because I want to talk about the "rule followers"...because, honestly, I just don't understand them. Or more accurately, I just don't understand why they get so bent out of shape when other people break rules. A story to illustrate: I went hiking today. On the particular path I was on, no dogs are allowed. Toward the end of the path, I passed a woman with a dog...a big, scary looking dog. I did think, as I passed her, "You're not allowed to have dogs on the path". But then I thought, "Who am I? The rule police". She can choose to follow the rules or not--and also to deal with the consequences of those choices,whatever they may be--it is not really my concern. Plus, that was a scary dog, and the woman was even scarier. I wasn't risking my life to point out that no dogs are allowed on the path. (In all fairness, the dog was on a leash and the woman was in complete control of said dog...it was just an ugly dog).

As I was exiting the path, a frantic woman approached me and started talking to me. I had to take my earphones out to hear her. She says: "Did that woman have a pit bull? On the path?" She asked this with the same intensity as if the dog woman were holding hostages inside a bank or something. I said, "I think so". Intense, rule-following woman says: "Well, she's not allowed to do that. There are no dogs allowed on the path." I guess I gave her a "what do I look like, the park ranger?" look, because she raced off to confront the woman about her earth-halting, rule infraction. The dog walking woman had to be twice the size of the little, irate lady. I was picturing the altercation. In my mind, I saw dog woman saying: "Yeah, so what are you gonna do about it?" to the rule Nazi. Perhaps I should have cared more...but it was 80+ degrees, I had just walked/run for 5 miles, I was hot, thirsty, and ready to get into my car and crank the air conditioning. I also thought, "Don't we have park rangers for this kind of thing?" It is not that I shrug off my civic responsibilities or that I am unconcerned with creating a just world--nor am I afraid of confrontation (I could actually stand to be a little less comfortable with confrontation). I just know there are a lot of things in life that I am responsible for, that I HAVE to do...this didn't seem like one of them. Then again, I am a "rule breaker", so what do I know?!

I did have a "rule follower" kind of moment today, though. About half way down the path, I came across a whole collection of water bottles discarded on the side of the path. There must have been 20 of them, at least. It really made me angry, because why would anyone just throw their empty water bottle on the side of the road? Do they think nature is their personal trash can? Plus, if you are going to use those water bottles, you could at least recycle them. I think one person started it, and then others thought, "Hey, I am too tired to carry my water bottle back with me to my car, I'll just add to the collection". If it hadn't been over 2 miles down the path, I would have gotten a trash bag and come back. Next time, I will bring a trash bag with me and recycle the bottles. I guess there are some rules that seem pretty important to me, primarily: "Treat God's people and all of His creation with respect". That, to me, seems like a more important rule than "no dogs on the path". If the rule seems eternally significant, I will follow it without question. Maybe I am not such a rule-breaker after all.

7 comments:

paul said...

A while back I was walking with my daughter on the bike path (where dogs are not allowed off lead) and a dog was off lead and rushed her. It scared her a lot. She now won't go on the bike path with us for fear of dogs.

Honestly, I don't always have a lot of room for rule breakers. See, breaking of rules no only might have consequences for the rule breaker (although sometimes not) they also have consequences for others. Rules exist for reasons. So when we break them, we do so knowing it might have an effect not intended or even ever seen by the one breaking the rule.

With that said, I break "rules" all the time in ministry (and sometimes in life). Again, you do so knowing the above. But your particular illustration struck a sore spot with me. :)

Tina Dietsch Fox said...

Hey Paul!

Thanks for the comment!

In all fairness to the dog woman, she had her dog on a leash, well-under control. Neither she nor the dog were bothering anyone...no one was in danger of being hurt...no children in danger of being frightened (which I can totally understand how an unrestrained dog could frighten a child and how bad of a situation that is). In addition, this is a pretty long and intense path...with no way to turn around once you set out on it. Children do not frequent this path; is too long and arduous for them.

I also wondered what exact power I had in the situation. I mean, I could have said, "You are not allowed to have dogs on the path". Seriously, unless she was blind, she had to know that...there are signs everywhere that say as much. I could have pointed out the obvious to her...but didn't really see the point of that or think it would make any difference whatsoever.

Rule breaker though I am, I do stand up for people who might be in danger or a situation that might bring injury to others. That dog was just taking a walk, on a leash, minding its own business. I was just mad that she got to take her dog on the path and I had to leave mine at home because they were not allowed.

Some rules exist for a reason. Other rules are just stupid. Not every rule makes sense or serves a purpose. Many do. I agree. And I follow most of them (hence the reason I have never been jailed).

Tina Dietsch Fox said...

an example of stupid rules from the park...

I am allowed to walk my dogs in the general area of the park, where all the play ground equiptment is located. This means that the dog woman is welcomed and invited to walk her pitbull in the area where all the kids are playing.

However, we are NOT allowed to walk our dogs on the paths...paths that are too difficult for children to walk on.

Does this make sense? Not so much...

But, it is their park, so I abide by the rules...disjointed though they may be. Again, though, not willing to fight with someone about a rule I think is dumb (i.e. woman walking dog on path).

paul said...

I think you missed my point... but anyway... :)

And paths are restricted because there is no where to go... dogs often feel cornered. which is not good form for territorial animals.

Tina Dietsch Fox said...

Ha! I think it is because people don't clean up after their animals...

it all comes down to the poop, paul...

i think i got your point...just had to defend my rule-breaking nature...an implicit problem with rule-breakers (rationalization and stubornness)...

maybe what i don't understand is why people with no power feel the need to enforce rules for others...and freak out until they do so (ala path woman)...

Anonymous said...

Tina

Well, I'm sure the conference could use a rule breaker or two. I know I like to live on the edge. Just yesterday I hid Stan Sutton's favorite pencil. Made him give me his apple before I'd tell him where it was. Never gave that apple back, either. It tasted sweet.

Your Fellow Methodist Outlaw,
Joyce

Tina Dietsch Fox said...

Bucher!

That is one of the funniest things I've ever read. I laughed so loud that my dogs looked at me like I am insane.

Thanks for making my night.

You are one of my all time favorite rule breakers :-)