Sunday, March 18, 2007

My favorite prayer...

I'm so tired. Sunday evening is not the best time for deep thinking--at least not when you work in a church. Your whole week is geared toward Sunday...and when Sunday comes to a close, so does your brain. However, the shame of my recent blog slacking has inspired a renewed resolve to blog each day: NO MATTER WHAT!!! Lacking any great and wondrous thoughts of my own, I thought I'd post one of my all time favorite prayers. I have prayed this--more times that I could possibly admit--when my own words failed me. I offer it to you and pray it will bless you, as it has blessed me.

My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going.
I do not see the road ahead of me.
I cannot know for certain where it will end.
Nor do I really know myself.
And the fact that I think that I am following your will
does not mean that I am actually doing so.
But I believe that the desire to please you, does, in fact, please you.
And I hope that I have that desire in all that I am doing.
I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
And I know that if I do this, you will lead me by the right road
though I may know nothing about it.
Therefore I will trust you always
though I may seem to be lost and in the shadow of death.
I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.
--Thomas Merton

4 comments:

maradanielle said...

I have to tell you Tina - as a silent reader - I really liked this prayer. Thanks for posting it!

Tina Dietsch Fox said...

Is that my cousin, Mara? if so, I'm so excited that you read my blog. Hi! How are you?!!!!

If a different mara, still glad that you read my blog.

either way, I'm glad you like the prayer. It has meant a lot to me over the last few years, especially!

Anonymous said...

This prayer is beautiful. Thank you for posting it. It does seem that my own words fail me as well sometimes.

maradanielle said...

yes - it is your cousin. I try to find a few minutes here and there (between taking care of the 3 little munchkins) to read your blog. That prayer made me think so I just wanted to let you know.
Things are good here, kids are good, steve and I are good - same old same old. Shoot me an email sometime