Thursday, March 29, 2007

Going to Russia...


I am going on a mission trip to Russia this summer. I just finished a letter about it for our church newsletter. I thought I'd share it (below) with the blogoshpere, as well...because who knows how God will move or in what mysterious ways He might provide for my prayer and financial support needs.

For me, this trip is one of those "stepping out of the boat" experiences. My sensible side wanted to say "no"...realizing that I do not, personally, have the funds to pay for this trip. However, I felt like God was very pointedly saying, "Tina, you challenge other people to step out on faith and to see how I will provide, but then you hesitate when it comes to something I call you to personally do". All I can say about the whole discussion is "ouch". It is easier telling people to have faith than actually having faith myself! God was telling me to put my non-existent money where my mouth is. So here I am now...going and trusting...stepping out on the water and hoping I don't sink. I know, I know, it's only when you take your eyes off Jesus that you sink. I'm trying to keep my eyes where they belong, to not look down, and to get ready for the water-walking ride!
So, here is my letter:
I’ve been blessed with the opportunity to go on a mission trip to Russia this coming July 25th through August 4th. A team of West Ohio Conference leaders will travel to Samara, Russia to lead a Christian summer camp at an orphanage for Russian children. This is a chance to offer resources of leadership to those in our sister conference in Russia (our Conference of the UMC has several sister conferences in other countries, including Mexico, Africa, and Russia). This will also be a chance to for me, personally, to grow in leadership skills and in faith. Most importantly, this will be a way to help lead Russian children into a saving, growing relationship with Jesus Christ.

When I was first approached about this opportunity, I felt excited. I love Jesus and sharing Him with others. I love to travel and doing mission work of any kind. The only hesitation I had concerned the cost of the trip. As I prayed about the trip, I felt the Lord saying, "I am calling, will you go…and will you trust Me to provide?" What could I say then…except "yes".

I am seeking your support of my trip. Most importantly, I need people who are willing to pray for me, for the team, for the ministry, and for the children of Russia. If you are willing to consistently and fervently pray for me and this mission, would you send me a note or an email, letting me know of your "prayer partnership" in this ministry? I will make sure to keep you up-to-date on things to specifically pray about, as well as giving more details about the others who are going and the place we are going. I believe that prayer is powerful and I need your prayers. Would you consider committing to this ministry of prayer?

I am also seeking people who will participate in this mission trip through financial support. We cannot all go to Russia, but we can all be a part of what God is doing there—and a part of what He will be doing there this summer. The cost of the trip is approximately $2700 (the majority of which is for the plane ticket). Would you prayerfully consider being a part of this mission trip through a financial gift? If you would like to contribute, you can make a check payable to "Hopewell United Methodist Church", with "Russia" in the subject line or with a separate note included. You can also mail it to my attention (Hopewell UMC, Attn. Pastor Tina, 4348 London Lancaster Rd., Groveport, OH 43125). By giving/sending it to the church—instead of to me personally—the amount will be tax deductible. I appreciate your prayerful consideration in this matter.

In Christ,
Pastor Tina

No comments: