Wednesday, December 19, 2007

The Season of Giving

I had an experience tonight that has me reflecting on what it really means to give. Walking out of a restaurant with some take out, a man stopped me. He had a story. There was a time in my ministry when I heard at least 20 such stories a week. Now, since my church is in the middle of some fields, I don't hear too many stories.

There are people in this world who have made scamming others into an art form. They are truly gifted. I've often wondered why these people don't channel all that creative energy and seek more honest income. For some, this scheming life might be rather lucrative. I remember reading a news article about a panhandler in a major metropolitan area who made over $50,000 a year (and that was several years ago, so he probably makes even more now). In reality, I think that is a rarity. Even the people that lie to you have a geunine need, sometimes truly financial, sometimes deeper than meets the eye, often both. I heard someone say that, as Christians, it is our job to "discern what the true need is" when people ask us for something. What are they really asking for?

I am not sure if the man I met tonight was lying to me or not. It is frustrating to me that I am automatically cynical and defensive when someone approaches me for help...as if I am expecting to be cheated. Certainly there are people who are honest and upfront about what they need. If you close yourself off to everyone, you may turn your back on someone who really needs help.

It is interesting to me that Jesus doesn't make distinctions when it comes to giving. He doesn't say, "Only give to someone if you are sure they are not lying to you and if they can produce proof of genuine need" or "Never give cash to someone because they will just buy booze with it" or "Just send them to a social service agency, that's what they are there for, anyway". Jesus is pretty radical when it comes to ideas about giving...actually, when it comes to pretty much everything.

Jesus doesn't talk about being nice. He talks about treating people differently than our instincts tell us: doing what seems unnatural, loving when we don't feel like it, giving when we would rather withold, taking people at face value, etc. Jesus says a little bit about that kind of stuff here:

"But I tell you who hear me: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If someone strikes you on one cheek, turn to him the other also. If someone takes your cloak, do not stop him from taking your tunic. Give to everyone who asks you, and if anyone takes what belongs to you, do not demand it back. Do to others as you would have them do to you.
~Luke 6:27-31

I have read many commentaries about this passage and others like it. I've heard sermons about it, too. Most of the time, people want to water down what Jesus says. "He didn't mean it literally", they say. I think that is the easy way out. Maybe Jesus meant what He said, just the way He said it.

Whenever someone asks me for something, I hear His words echoing through my mind: "Give to everyone who asks you". I heard that tonight, when the man, with his wife and child standing in the cold, needed $18 more for a part for their broken car. I listened to the details of his story and asked some questions. He seemed genuine. Finally, I decided that I would give him the money. Now, I could have gone to the store and actually paid the money to the clerk, which would have been wisest. But it was cold and I was running late, and I figured I would step out on a limb and trust the man. He very well may have lied to me. If he lied, well, I guess that is between him and the Lord, the One to whom we all must give account some day.

As for me, when I stand before Jesus, I don't think He will be disappointed if I was too gullible and someone took advantage of me. I do think, however, that He would be upset if I had turned away one of His children in need.

I know that we all have to be discerning--to be good stewards of all that God has entrusted to us. That means we have to make responsible choices with our resources. In life, however, there are many times when you cannot be certain which choice is right. At such times, I would rather err on the side of grace, compassion, and love...and if I get scammed every once in a while, well, I guess that is ok.

No comments: