Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Atrophy

Atrophy: any weakening or degeneration (especially through lack of use)

If something is really true (the "deep down in your bones" kind of truth) it applies to all aspects of life. I have come to believe in the process of atrophy as a universal truth. Unused muscles--of any type--will weaken, degenerate, cease to function. What is true of the body is true of the blog. Lack of attention to any area of life leads to a decrease in function. Ignore the blog, and the blog will cease to thrive.

As you may have noticed, I've been on hiatus. At first, it was intentional, to give me time for mission trips and other summer ministry demands. However, weeks have now turned to months (evidenced most clearly by the steadily falling snow outside). I've learned that if you take too much time away from anything, it is difficult to gain momentum again. The whole process of blogging and not blogging has made me wonder about the myriad responsibilites of life. With so many things demanding our time, how do you know which to put first?

I have long loved the quote: "The 'good' is the enemy of the 'best'". There are a million good things competing for our attention. Which are the BEST things, the most important things, the things worthy of our ultimate focus?

With blogging, for example, I contemplated giving up on the process. After all, I had gotten out of the habit and was sure that all two people that read my blog would move on to more profound reading materials in my absence. Amazingly, I have discovered that, perhaps, more than 2 people actually read my blog.

It is one thing when your mom tells you she misses what you have to say. This is the same woman who hung very sub-par craft projects on the refrigerator and considered them divinely inspired "art". Recently, though, I have actually heard from people I do not know--strangers wondering if I died or something. While it is flattering to know there are people that actually care what I have to say, it is not my main impetus for blogging again. Really, I just plain miss it. I miss writing. I miss the thinking about thinking that it takes to write.

The whole process has made me think about priorities. Maybe a way to choose priorites is asking the question: Is this something that I really want to live without?

At least for now, this is something I no longer want to live without. I can't speak for the future, when other important things that I want in my life may call me to reconsider previous commitments. But for now, I am back.

3 comments:

gmw said...

"I am back."

Woo-hoo!

Anonymous said...

Pastor Tina...so good to have you back in the blogworld! Love to read your thoughts!! Love, Melanie

bryan said...

Your return to the blogosphere inspires in me a poetic response:

Yo Tina
Your Blog Rocks
I like it more
than warm wool socks

I think it's better
than a tall cup of joe
or Kung Pao Chicken
by Chef Wang Ho

So glad you're writing
instead of shirking
so I can read
instead of working

Do hope this Christmas
will find you well
happy and healthy
a dog that smells.... good.

God Bless,
Bryan