Sunday, December 31, 2006

Heaven, Life, and Leaving a Legacy

Watching the news yesterday, there was a lot about Gerald Ford. The interim pastor serving at Ford’s Episcopal Church, in California, spoke about the former president--talking about what a great man Ford was. The pastor went on to say: “If anyone deserves to be in Heaven, it’s Gerald Ford”. I found that comment unsettling. I don’t deny that Ford was a good man. The part I take offense to is that anyone would “deserve” heaven. If any of us were worthy to be fully in God’s presence, there would be no need for Jesus to die in our place or rise again to conquer sin and death. Scripture makes it pretty clear that “all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God” (Rom. 3:23). The only thing that can possibly save us from ourselves is God’s gracious salvation given to us in and through Jesus Christ. I try not to make claims about where specific people will spend eternity, since I am not God. One thing I do know with certainty, however, is that God cares greatly about how we relate to Jesus Christ. I think, in the end, the question that God asks us will not be: “What good things did you do in your life?” The question God will ask is something like: “What did you do with my Son?”

Ephesians 2 (New Living Translation) speaks to this: “God saved you by his grace when you believed. And you can’t take credit for this; it is a gift from God. Salvation is not a reward for the good things we have done, so none of us can boast about it. For we are God’s masterpiece. He has created us anew in Christ Jesus, so we can do the good things he planned for us long ago.”

My upset with the comment about Gerald Ford and Heaven stems from the proximity of death to my mind and heart recently. It is hard to miss all the death on the news, with Gerald Ford, James Brown, and Sadam Hussein, just to name a few. Plus, with my grandma dying recently, death is sitting heavily on my consciousness. It makes me think about the purpose of life. If I had to sum up the purpose of it all, I would say it is about loving God and loving others. As Amy Grant said in a song, long ago, “We’re just here to learn to love Him. We’ll be home in just a little while”.

I think it is important to live our lives with the end in mind. Really, in the grand scheme of things, we are here for such a short time. All the things we chase after: money, success, approval, beauty, youth, etc…what do those things really matter? I had a conversation, recently, with someone who thinks making money is what it is all about. That seems so sad to me…because, as we all know, you can’t take it with you.

I hope, at the end of my life, I will have lived for something more than myself and my wants. I hope that my life touches other people and makes their lives better…maybe even makes the world better. I want to leave a legacy… which, I think, is what we all hope for at the end of our lives. There is a song, by Nichole Nordeman, that talks about leaving a legacy of grace—a life that points others toward the love of God. I post this video (below) for you…because this is the song of my heart these past few days. Really, it is a prayer…a prayer for a significant life that makes a difference. I pray this for myself, and for all of you. May we, truly, leave a legacy.

Nichole Nordeman
“Legacy”

I don't mind if you've got something nice to say about me
And I enjoy an accolade like the rest
You could take my picture and hang it in a gallery
Of all who's who and so-n-so's that used to be the best
At such'n'such ... it wouldn't matter much

I won't lie, it feels alright to see your name in lights
We all need an 'Atta boy' or 'Atta girl'
But in the end I'd like to hang my hat on more besides
The temporary trappings of this world

Chorus:
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

I don't have to look too far or too long awhile
To make a lengthy list of all that I enjoy
It's an accumulating trinket and a treasure pile
Where moth and rust, thieves and such, will soon enough destroy

Not well traveled, not well read, not well-to-do or well bred
Just want to hear instead, "Well Done" good and faithful one...

Chorus:
I want to leave a legacy
How will they remember me?
Did I choose to love? Did I point to You enough
To make a mark on things?
I want to leave an offering
A child of mercy and grace who
blessed your name unapologetically
And leave that kind of legacy

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandmother. I'm so sorry for your pain again now, Teener. I'm glad to have found your blog and will enjoy reading it and keeping up with your thoughts. You're so darn smart! If you want to keep an eye on our goings-on, Chris has a blog at www.forgefocus.com. I got to see Sheryl back in October (and meet little Natalie!) Hope to see you soon! Love, Amy

gmw said...

Hey Super T,

Thanks for making time to come over and hang with us for a little while. You are quite the blogger--I'll have to lurk around here some, via my Google Reader that is...

And going veggie, huh? Blessings for that. I've only done so during Lent the past few years. I didn't mind it--actually enjoyed it, but did eat fish on Fridays like my Catholic bro's and sis's. Different when it's a finite time till the Texas gets beef again, though.

Anywho, it was really wonderful to see you.