Friday, December 15, 2006

Confessions of a non-political Tina

I make these disclaimers before I begin:
1) My major source of national news and political insight comes from Stephen Colbert of “The Colbert Report” (who, incidentally, is the funniest person in the world…just my opinion)
2) At a large church function for pastors, halfway through a lecture, I leaned over to the person sitting next to me and said, “So, who is this guy talking to us?” Turns out it was a district superintendent (note: In the United Methodist Church, not knowing the district superintendents in your conference is like not knowing the state capitals)!

Presently, I am procrastinating filling out a “voter guide information sheet” (due tomorrow). This form is necessary if you are interested in being a delegate to General Conference (the United Methodist Church’s “main event”, which happens every 4 years).

I first received this aforementioned “voter guide” in the mail a couple of months ago. I opened it up, laughed, and threw it away. You see, there is not an ounce of politician in my blood. First, I too quickly and easily say what I think. Politically correct? Not me! The nature of church politics is not that different than the nature of politics in general. There is a lot of campaigning, labeling (“Bible-blinded conservatives” or “bleeding soul liberals”), and appearance management that happens. There is no part of me that desires participation in such superficiality. You see, I may be an idealistic optimist, but there is a cynical side to me as well. I grew up in the United Methodist Church (heck, I grew up in America!); I know how these political things go!

However, that pesky Holy Spirit seems to have a different take on things than I do. Having been approached by several people (people I respect and admire), asking me to consider putting my name on the ballot, I have had to rethink my hasty, earlier decision. In a perfect world, I would love to be a delegate to General Conference. I love my Church and have deep concerns about its future. I actually enjoy the parliamentary procedures and legislation that go on at General Conference (I know, I’m truly twisted). I feel that I could intelligently and prayerfully articulate my beliefs in a collegial way. Still, I am hesitant; I just don’t want to become one of those people who cares more about climbing some mythical ladder than she does about following God.

In fact, my PPRC (pastor parish relations committee) chairperson (a retired Air force Colonel) told me once: “Stick with me and I will turn you into a Bishop”. I said in response: “What have I done to you to make you say such a hateful thing?” No offense, Bishop Ough, but I wouldn't want your job for all the tea in China (exactly how much tea is there in China?). Really, I would be awful at the job, but that could be the subject of many other blogs!
I know people who start their ministerial careers hoping to become a district superintendent…and maybe, some day, bishop. They talk about that desire with anyone who will listen. Like hawks looking for prey, they keep their eyes on every pastoral move that happens. They like to discuss your average church attendance with you or talk about how much another pastor up the road is being paid. These people live to speculate about the “movers” and the “shakers” in the conference. It makes me want to vomit!

You see, I became a pastor because God dragged me into it kicking and screaming. Just kidding (in part!). I felt a gentle, disturbing, life-shifting call from God when I was 16 years old…and it changed the whole focus of my life. From that point on, my life became about following Jesus and serving Him with my whole heart, soul, strength, and mind…and with my career choice. It meant that I didn’t get to “call the shots” about where I went and what I did--Someone else is in charge of those things. I take John Wesley’s Covenant Prayer seriously and have tried to make it the motto of my life.

Wesley’s Covenant Prayer
I am no longer my own, but thine.
Put me to what thou wilt, rank me with whom thou wilt.
Put me to doing, put me to suffering.
Let me be employed by thee or laid aside for thee,
exalted for thee or brought low for thee.
Let me be full, let me be empty.
Let me have all things, let me have nothing.
I freely and heartily yield all things
to thy pleasure and disposal.
And now, O glorious and blessed God,
Father, Son, and Holy Spirit,
thou art mine, and I am thine. So be it.
And the covenant which I have made on earth,
let it be ratified in heaven. Amen.

For me, to aspire to anything other than holiness and a deeper love of Jesus is dangerous ground to walk upon. I want to run from whatever people or situations might take my eyes off of Him. That was why I decided to throw away my voter guide submission sheet in the first place. I didn't want to head down that political road, which so easily corrupts the soul and blinds one's vision. Yet, through little messages here and there, I sense that God might actually want me to go to General Conference (heaven help us all!). Or maybe God just wants me to learn how to be faithful to His call, regardless of what the results are. Either way, I am stepping out of my comfort zone tonight and filling out that crazy form! Who knows what God’s plans are for me...only God, I guess.
I’ve learned from this experience that I shouldn’t make hasty decisions, based on my preconceived ideas rather than on God’s leading. I should probably prayerfully reflect before I laugh and throw something important away. Sarah laughed too, when God told her His plan (for her to bear a son--in her old age—who would carry God’s promises through to future generations)…and look how that turned out. We celebrate how that turned out on Christmas!

I don’t know what God has up His sleeve, but I am willing to go along for the ride. Who knows, I may become the first non-political politician! God save us all!

2 comments:

Brian Vinson said...

I would vote for you. If they let me vote this year.

Anonymous said...

So...I just saw that you also think that Stephen Colbert is the funniest man ever.
I read Sunday the 17th's blog before this one, and thought it was pretty funny that I wrote exactly what you mentioned in the first paragraph of today's blog.