Thursday, May 24, 2007

Being Knit

I came across an article entitled, "I was born in the wrong body" on an internet news site last week. I didn't read the article, but I think it was about people who are born, biologically, as one gender but feel, psychologically, that they are the other gender. My first response to that title was: "Well, who doesn't think that to some degree?" I mean, I have thought for a long time that I was, in fact, born in the wrong body. The body I was meant to have looked a lot more like Angelina Jolie's body than mine. I've thought about a lawsuit, trying to get my body back, but am doubtful that I would win.

I'm not trying to diminish the deep, internal pain that people with gender issues face. I'm just thinking that we all, to some degree, feel out of place in our bodies. Eating disorders are rampant in our culture. The cosmetics industry is a multi-billion dollar industry. Plastic surgery, hair implants, weight loss products and paraphernalia are all hallmarks of our intense dissatisfaction with our physical bodies.

The Bible refers to our mortal bodies as "tents"...giving the impression that this flesh is temporary, at least in the grand scheme of things. There is also mention of us having "resurrection bodies", which is an idea that brings me a particular joy. That doesn't mean our earthly bodies are of no value or that we shouldn't care for them as if they were a gift from God (which, in fact, they are). It's just good to keep in mind the temporary nature of this world. Meaning, even though I don't look like Angelina Jolie now (because, as I mentioned earlier, she stole my body in a top-secret sting operation), someday I will...

I wonder if our dissatisfaction with who we are as people is upsetting to God. He made us all extraordinary, different and beautiful in our own ways. Yet, we spend our lives trying to change who we are, deeply dissatisfied with God's creative genius in our unique situations and bodies.

God’s unique creative process has become a lot clearer to me as I've been learning how to knit in the past few months. Some of the ladies from church formed a group called the "Knit Wits", for knitters in all stages of expertise. I thought I'd give it a try and gracefully bow out if I knitted like a chicken (not sure how chickens knit, but probably better than me). I'm not the world's greatest knitter, but I am starting to get it. There are only two different stitches in knitting: the knit and the purl. Sounds pretty easy. It's not. That's what they told me to get me to start: "Oh Tina, there are only two stitches. You'll pick it up in no time at all". Well, there's a lot more to knitting than that, but I won't bore you. I am amazed at the myriad creations which are possible from the combination of some yarn, two needles, and two basic stitches (note to my family: prepare yourselves for a lifetime of knitted Christmas and birthday gifts!).

My knitting is still very flawed. I make mistakes and then have to backtrack just to figure out what I did...sometimes taking out several rows worth of work in the process. But a master knitter, she can look at what you did and tell you in an instant where it went wrong. Using the same two stitches, a master knitter can create works of beauty that I can't even imagine creating...even if I practiced for years.

And all this, of course, makes me think about God...who could be called the Master knitter of all master knitters. Psalm 139:13 says of God's creating us: "For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb."

This makes me think a lot of things, but primarily that God intentionally and uniquely created each one of us. We are distinct, purposed creations. We are each meant to be here, as we are, looking how we do, being who we are, residing in the bodies in which we currently reside...God planned it all from the beginning. You don't accidentally knit something. It is intentional. It takes purpose and planning. We are not here by accident, or mistake. We are here because God chose to knit us into existence. I picture these big cosmic hands knitting me into being...and that makes me smile.

Another thing about knitting: it is very intimate. Both of your hands are involved. You have to hold the yarn and the needles close to your arms, your chest, your eyes. The more complex the pattern, the more detailed attention you have to give to your creation. What is more complex than a human being? I picture this knitting God focusing His whole attention on our creation, delighting in each completed "row" until the creation grows to its fullness. Then He must sit back proudly and say, "I made that. That's good stuff."

I felt pride at my first creation: a blue wash cloth that my mother received as a Mother's Day present. She appropriately gushed over my creation, the way only a mother could. I was amazed that I actually made something. It was so hard just to figure out what I was doing—taking hours and hours of practice before I could even begin to make something. But there I was, an imperfect creator making an imperfect creation--and still somehow, thinking it was wonderful. Imagine God, the Perfect Creator, making us...incapable of making anything but a perfect creation.

So, if you ever feel like you were born in the wrong body--or dislike the particular way you were created--remember that you were knit together by God Himself...and He thinks what you are is good…amazing, even. Who are we to debate God’s opinion of us?

2 comments:

Pasture Scott said...

Hey Tina!

Glad you are still doing the blog thing...this was a great allegory! I believe as you stated the Lord looks upon us and says "good stuff"!

Great reminder...blessings!

Anonymous said...

"The body I was meant to have looked a lot more like Angelina Jolie's body than mine."

That's a shame. Her body isn't all that great. I find her quite unattractive.