Friday, February 23, 2007

Why I Love Harry Potter

There are some, in the Christian world, who believe just looking at a Harry Potter book cover is a one-way ticket to the fiery furnace. While I do not condone "witchcraft" as a lifestyle, I do love these books (and the movies, the fan sites, the discussions, etc.) Since the final book of the series (Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows) is scheduled for release on July 21, 2007, there is a lot of interest/discussion all over the internet about all things Harry. I thought I'd throw my two cents into the ring.


First, let me say this about "witchcraft": I took 4 years of Latin when I was in school. I even particpated in Latin Convention and took the National Latin Exam on several occassions (if I haven't already outed myself as a complete geek, here it is!). As I have read the Harry Potter books, I can say this--from my relatively "expert" perspective--over 95% of the "spells" in the books are actually Latin words or phrases, not the very real spells used by practicing witches or proponents of authentic withcraft. One example out of a million: the "spell" to freeze or stun someone (I believe) in the HP books is "stupefy" or "stupify", look at the definition below (from dictionary.com)
stu·pe·fy
1.to put into a state of little or no sensibility; benumb the faculties of; put into a stupor.2.to stun, as with a narcotic, a shock, or a strong emotion.3.to overwhelm with amazement; astound; astonish.From Latin stupefacere, meaning to benumb

I have been VERY IMPRESSED by J.K. Rowling's (from this point on refered to as "JKR") use of, not just the English language, but other languages/origins, as well (most noticably Latin). She alludes to great literature, myths, legends, and archtypes. People who call her a witch or refer to her use of "witchcraft" (again, not the same as the practice refered to by Scriptures as evil and off limits) have no understanding of what real witchcraft is...and, most likely, have never studied Latin, because those books read like a Latin vocab. primer!


Ok...now, why I love Harry Potter:
USE OF IMAGINATION
I used to dream and imagine and write all kinds of fantastical stories when I was a girl. Then real life came along and I had to grow up and stop dreaming. Enter Harry Potter: suddenly imagination and dreaming are not off limits anymore, even to adults. It has opened up a part of my mind that I closed down. I am forever in JKR's debt for resurrecting my imagination. Her greatest gift, I belive, is her imagination. Her writing is good, but there have been better writers in the history of the world. JKR's imagination, though, is where she excels as an author. There are few writers who come close to her level of creativity and innovation. Her imagination has inspired me--and millions of others--to think bigger thoughts, dream more vivid dreams, imagine outside of what is rational. I thank her for that!


SENSE OF HOPE
The character of Harry is a character of hope. He lives and survives, despite life events which should have squelched his spirit at the least, or ended his life at the worst. More than that, this very ordinary boy finds out that he is, in fact, extrodinary. That discovery speaks to something deep in the heart of the reader. We all want to be special. We want to feel that our lives are significant--that there is something unique about us...to know we may very well change the world--and that, even if we don't alter history, we at least have the ability to change it. Harry gives us the hope of possibility. There is much more we could accomplish in our lives, if only we had hope. Harry Potter reminds us that hope is a viable option...that something special may be lurking deep within even the most ordinary among us.


NEED FOR COMMUNITY
Harry has friends who balance out his strengths and weaknesses. While Harry is the "star" of the books, he becomes who he is only through his relationships. There is Hermione, who is smart, logical, and intense, and teaches Harry to reign in his emotions and think (literary scholars have called her the "superego" of the trio). There is Ron, who is fun, wild, goofy, and spontaneous (the "id"), who teaches Harry to loosen up--to feel things freely and fully. Harry, himself (the "ego"), learns to be a balance of the extremes of his friends. He learns to depend on others--and the reader sees what it means to care about others as much (if not more) than you care about yourself. None of us can make it through this world on our own; we need each other. The friendship of this trio reinforces that need in us.


BATTLE BETWEEN GOOD AND EVIL
Every Harry Potter book has some confrontation between good (i.e. Harry and his cronies) and evil (i.e. Voldemort and his followers). JKR has given evil a very personal face in Voldemort. You despise him and root against him--and you long for Harry to defeat him. Yet, despite how purely evil he is, there are those who follow Voldemort because they want power and unedning life. Harry (and those on the side of good) realize there are more important things than power...and, ultimately, more important things than life--especially "life at all costs", which is Voldemort's way of operating in the world. Character, bravery, and compassion are values that are consistently lifted up and celebrated as good and victorious. In my mind, the world needs more stories that celebrate values and morals that are good, right, and godly. I see that in Harry Potter. Right choices are more important than success. That is a very counter-cultural message, especially if you look at contemporary media. The world lifts up the idea that "it's all about you". In these books, I see something different at work. "You" are not the end goal of life in these books. There are things worth dying for, things more important than your own safety and comfort. What is true, right, noble, and enduring...these things are the highest good. This is, perhaps, the most consistent theme in all the Harry Potter books.

There are a gazillion other things I love about these books...and maybe I will share more in future blogs...but that is a good start.

Again, for those concerned Christians out there...I promise, I do not worship Satan. I am merely a fan of some books that promote good values and have re-awakened a love of literature and reading in this generation of children. Praise God for that!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Amen sista! I really like Harry Potter...for all the reasons you mentioned. I just wanted to say that I agree :-) Love ya Tina,
Ellen L.